Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Night float


For those out there confused by this phrase, here is a definition

Night Float:[nahyt][floht]

A residency rotation in which residents see their kids for 3 hours a week (literally). Often results in extreme stress and mental breakdown of resident's spouse. Especially if resident has children, and most definitely will happen if spouse is dealing with newborn with nighttime colic.


In a nutshell, Andrew has switched to nights, leaves at 4:30 pm one day, gets home at noon the next day and crashes until dinner. One hour later is bedtime. I see him till 10 pm, then go to bed. He stays up until 7 am the next day and sleeps like the dead (seriously, he can sleep through two kids screaming in the same room) until 4 pm to go back to work.

This is not my favorite rotation. Thank heaven for all the people bringing me dinner and helping me out. You deserve extra blessings and a spot in heaven for your service. I am so grateful.

No comments: