Thursday, February 12, 2009

Step III


Step III is the final examination you have to take to become a "real" doctor.


What constitutes a real doctor? Once I graduated from medical school, I was given the title of doctor. But people still asked if I was a "real" doctor. I never said 'no, I'm not a real doctor', but I would end up explaining that I'm a resident. Well, I'm still a resident, but now I'm considering myself a "real" doctor.


There are ways that people could construe "real" doctor. When people ask that question, it is loaded with what may be prejudices or concerns. PhDs and other doctorate degrees are doctors, and they aren't imaginary. However, some people when asking this question would not think that they are real doctors. An example, if someone has collapsed in a movie theater, and someone cried out "Is there a doctor in the house?", they mean a doctor with medical training. I think I would take an emergency physician, critical care doctor, or a nurse who works in one of those locations. I would hope any paramedics or EMT would step up, even if they aren't "real" doctors, because they would be more useful than I would be likely.


That also brings up other doctors, such as dentists, DO's, podiatrists and chiropractors. Where do they fall in the discussion of "real" doctors. Too much for me to get into, and my answer would be a definite, 'well, it depends'.

3 comments:

Mike and Mindy Williams said...

Yeah for being a 'real doctor!' And yeah for updating the blog! :)

Erin said...

So what kind of doctor are you?

Andrew said...

I'm a "real" doctor. But, I'm still training to be a radiologist (read MRI's, CAT scans, x-rays, ultrasounds, etc.).