Friday, September 12, 2008

Prepping for Hurricane Ike







Well, we've got our first real hurricane headed towards us. Gustav just didn't get us worked up all that much. But Ike had a chance to be the real deal. It did have the possibility to get to Category 4. That's about where we would have decided to evacuate. As it is it should be getting here in the middle of the night. We've boarded up and stocked up so that we could hunker down.

Here's my current favorite website for checking out hurricanes (thanks, Elena).

I feel like I've had some bad luck with hurricanes. Last time they cancelled work in August on a day I was getting off anyways. This time, most people got today off, but I had to work until about 11:30 because I was post-call. Yesterday, I did get to go home for the afternoon to start boarding up the house though.

I'm not looking forward to the power going out and losing water and internet... but I'll keep bravely posting as long as I'm able. ;)

(I stole this idea from Afton, to try to encourage come commentary and feedback...)
What do you like to do on a rainy day?
What's the worst catastrophe/natural disaster you've been through?

10 comments:

Shawnee said...

Whoa! You are right in the storm's path! We'll keep you in our prayers...I hope you all stay safe!

Elder and Sister Dunn said...

Best of luck. We will be praying for you guys as well.

Kim said...

Good luck - glad you were able to get prepared. Hope it's not too bad. Hurricanes can get a little crazy.

Marly said...

I was wondering how you guys faired the hurricane. You're my only friends in the area un-acounted for

Brent and Jessica said...

I hope that you guys are okay. My parents stayed behind too, because my dad is on the volunteer fire department. The had a heck of a time. I hope that all is well!

Andrew said...

We're well, as is the house. Got power back yesterday. I'll give more details soon.

jules said...

Glad everything went okay for you guys!!!!!!! We love you sooooooooooooo much!

linda said...

I hope you guys are O.K. It was fun to read your blog.
Love, Linda

scottandangelle@gmail.com said...

This is being writen after the fact, and we are so grateful that you and the Child Family are all ok! Thanks for taking them in while their power is still off. It is so fun to catch up on your lives -- we love blogs!
Love, Scott and Angelle

Unknown said...

How are you guys doing now? Do you have power back yet? (If not, I guess you won't get this)