Saturday, June 23, 2007

Moving (Part II - The Drive)

Friday

So we began the trek to Texas. Elena left Friday afternoon/evening, while I waited until after work to leave (didn't leave until 9 O'clock that night).
We drove to our first stop in El Paso. My car broke down twice on the drive to El Paso, it would lose all power and I'd pull to the side, wait a while, and it would start again.

In El Paso we slept in since I got in so late. On my way out I only broke down 3 times, and managed to keep my car going by not using the air conditioner, and by keeping my speed at 65mph. It's a very painful drive across Texas, in June, with no AC, and being limited to 65mph even though the limit is 75.

Saturday

We were making progress in our 1000 mile journey and Elena needed a rest. I suggested that she take her rest and I continue ahead at my tortoise-like pace for her to catch up. Well, in her stop, she temporarily lost track of Beast and enlisted help of a state trooper until he was finally found under some of the stuff in her car. He suggested that she not go any further tonight, so we ate some good beef at a restaraunt and stayed in a seedy little motel in Ozona.

Sunday

We woke up early to get the keys to our house from Evan, who was so nice to meet us in a Target parking lot in downtown Houston. We drove to our new house, took showers and got ready for our first visit to our new ward.

All in all an eventful trip, with many memories. Not one I'd like to replicate exactly, though.

No comments: