Tuesday, July 15, 2008

In Memoriam: RIP


The Grand Am won't pass inspection, and so it is time to bid farewell to a car that has always been in my family. My family wondered if it would make it through medical school (it's a 1993 car, and I graduated in 2006). Well, it made it through the first two years of residency, including drives from SLC to Tucson, and the following year to Houston (even if each of the drives the car died).

On the way to Tucson I was headed out of Flagstaff and broke down about 50 miles away. I had to call a tow company that took 5-6 hours as I recall to come, because there was a large crash involving a semi that used up the town's towing capacity, and had disrupted traffic. I was not happy after sitting in the Arizona desert for a few hours in June, without a significant amount of water. (Turns out a radiator hose blew, and then sprayed all over the alternator and killed it.)

On the Houston drive, I found that if I tried to sustain a speed more than 60 or 65 mph that my car would give up and I'd have to pull off. (Not a fun way to travel through west Texas).

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Whoops - I accidentally deleted my last post. Maybe one day I'll learn how to use a computer.

Baugh Family - this is your cousin Joe, the one who just moved down to Houston. Sorry to hear about your car. We can definitely relate given that we just got through a summer full of car ordeals.

It sure would be fun to get together with you guys now that we're here. You're welcome to come up anytime and we'll see when we can come down your way.

Thanks for letting us know about your blog - it's a lot of fun to read.

Justin said...

Great to see what you guys are up to. Congratulations on the little one--she is cute. I'll look forward to keeping up with you guys over the next year on your blog.